In 2005, I was in the wine cellar with a friend, tinkering around with some new wine that we sourced from these rugged, volcanic vineyards in the Red Hills of Lake County, California, an up and coming region we think you'll soon hear more about. We were reminiscing about our fathers, and it reminded me of how my Dad used to tinker around the garage, rebuilding old stock cars with his friends. That rich, approachable wine that we tried back then defines the style and quality that we try to replicate in each vintage. Wines that are bold and expressive, but unassuming and approachable. Funny how it reminds me of someone. My Dad's name was Joseph, as is mine, but his friends just called him Josh.
My Dad taught me to always work hard and follow my dream. So I worked my way through college as a wine steward at Big Tree Inn in Upstate New York, eventually becoming a sommelier. Over the next 30 years, I worked in some way, shape or form, in the wine business, from sommelier to salesman, but each year it always seemed to lead me back to Napa Valley, California. In 2005, I realized my dream. I founded my own family company, the Joseph Carr Winery.
I work with our partner-growers and winemaker Wayne Donaldson on each vintage to make the best wine that we can. Sourcing from vineyards across the Napa Valley, Sonoma Valley, Mendocino County, and even the Central Coast of California, we work hard to bring you the bold, complex and approachable wines that we want to drink with our family and friends.
An approachable blend with aromas of rich, dark fruit and baking spices on the nose yielding to fresh plum, blackberry, violet, dried fig, vanilla bean and Chinese five-spice. The wine is juicy with plum and blackberry flavors, prominently layered with smoky and sappy maple oak, roasted almonds and hazelnuts. Our Josh Cellars Cabernet finishes long with fine, firm tannins.
We handcraft Josh Cellars Chardonnay with aromas of tropical fruit and citrus, married beautifully with harmonious notes of oak. A delightful harmony of bright yellow and white stone fruit lingers on the palate and finishes with fresh and clean acidity.
This Pinot Noir, made in a style reminiscent of Burgundy, offers bright, ripe cherries and deep earthy flavors with spice, subtle oak and delicate texture.
Our Merlot, created in a Bordeaux style blend, offers rich plum and black cherry flavors, accented by savory spices and toasted oak, with a soft, supple texture and lingering finish. A wine that is bold and expressive but unassuming, and approachable.
Bright aromas of lime and citrus are the core of our Josh Cellars Sauvignon Blanc, with layers of white flower nectar, peach, and tropical melon. The palate of the wine is fresh and alive with clean fruit flavors and a perfectly balanced finish.
When I was growing up, my Dad, Josh, was always very proud to say that he had served in the Army. When I asked him what he did, he was quick to point out that he was just another soldier. After his military service, he served as a volunteer firefighter in the small, upstate New York mill town where I grew up. Over the years, he answered many calls that rang out from the firehouse across the street. My Dad would say we're a community, we have to take care of each other.
To find out more about our commitment, click below.
Did you know…
- Nearly all (94%) people believe first responders deserve more recognition and support for the work they do, but only one-third (32%) have supported a cause or organization that benefits first responders.
- Four-out-of-five people say recent national tragedies have made them more aware of the role of first responders (81%), and they wish there was more they could do to support them (80%).
- More than four-in-five (84%) people would be willing to support a cause that benefits first responders, but don’t because they aren’t aware of any such organizations (17%) or don’t know how to get involved (10%).
The Gary Sinise Foundation is proud to serve our nation by honoring our defenders, veterans, first responders, their families, and those in need. Josh Cellars has donated over $75,000 to the Gary Sinise Foundation in support of our heroic first responders with continued efforts for years to come. To find out more about our commitment, click below:
- The Daily Meal: Josh Cellars Teams with Gary Sinise Foundation to Support First Responders on National First Responder’s Day
- Yahoo News: Actor Gary Sinise, founder of the Gary Sinise Foundation
- Huffington Post: Celebrating Everyday Heroes This National First Responders Appreciation Day
- Fox News Colorado: Black Forest Fire Department receives generous donation
We think of anyone who enjoys our wine as a member of the family. Feel free to contact us with any comments or questions.